- Touareg 2023: premium SUV shines with new high-tech features
- Interactive light: first Volkswagen with IQ.Light HD matrix headlights
- Newly configured running gear: large spread between agility and comfort
- Premium style: major design update for the front and rear
- Optimised interior: made for long distances
- Configurator open: presales of the new Touareg start on 25 May
Overview of important facts
Major update for the Volkswagen flagship model: The Touareg launches with new technologies and new design
The Touareg is the all-rounder in the large SUV category – the perfect combination of comfortable touring car, superior towing vehicle and authentic off-roader. Volkswagen is now launching the next Touareg generation. The flagship model is the first Volkswagen to make its debut with newly developed IQ.Light HD matrix headlights. The interactive lighting system makes driving at night even more comfortable. Volkswagen has also upgraded the high-end interior, and the Innovision Cockpit features the latest hardware and software. A new roof load sensor and enhanced running gear systems increase the bandwidth between optimum comfort and maximum performance. With its new technologies, the Touareg is more versatile and multi-faceted than ever before. The newly designed front and rear ends mean the update is instantly recognisable. Particularly distinctive features include the LED tail light clusters – these are now designed as a light strip and feature a red illuminated Volkswagen logo. Presales of the new Touareg start in Europe on 25 May 2023 (Touareg R eHybrid: 22 June 2023).
Popular premium SUV. More than 1.13 million Touaregs have been sold so far. Imelda Labbé, Member of the Brand Board of Management for Sales, Marketing and Aftersales: “The new Touareg impresses with top quality and outstanding comfort. We have again systematically implemented the wishes of our customers in this model – sharpening the design, making operation even more intuitive, and enhancing the excellent driving characteristics. The result is a true all-rounder that will excite on-road, off-road and naturally also as a first-class towing vehicle.”
Innovation pioneer. Innovative technologies have always made their debut in the Touareg. This know-how often benefits the smaller vehicle classes, and this is also the case here. Kai Grünitz, Member of the Brand Board of Management responsible for Development: “The Touareg has always been a technology pioneer for us, allowing us to transfer new developments into other brand vehicles as part of a top-down strategy. And we are following the same approach with the new Touareg. As the first Volkswagen model, it is being launched with the newly developed HD matrix headlights – one of the best lighting systems in the world. More than 38,000 interactive LEDs project a light carpet exactly onto the driving lane and illuminate the road more precisely than ever before. We will soon transfer the HD matrix lighting system to other SUV-class models.”
Fusion of technological systems. The Touareg is equipped with a new roof load sensor that is closely integrated with the running gear electronics. This offers the benefit of increased agility. If a roof box is fitted, the sensor detects this and passes on the information to assist systems such as Electronic Stability Control. This system then in turn intervenes earlier to increase driving stability. In contrast, the systems allow sportier performance than before if there is no roof load. For Jochen Reichel, Head of Driving Dynamics, Steering and Control Systems, it is this interaction of all technologies that is a standout feature of the new Touareg: “Thanks to the roof load sensor, we have been able to further increase the spread between maximum comfort and optimum performance. As part of this, the enhanced coordination of the running gear and control systems ensures greater stability and precision in both dynamic and comfort-oriented driving situations. Particularly in combination with the running gear systems such as active roll compensation and all-wheel steering, the Touareg now offers even greater driving dynamics.” The Touareg’s innovative assist systems include technologies such as Travel Assist (assisted driving up to maximum speed), Area View (360-degree bird’s eye view shown on the infotainment system display to facilitate manoeuvring), Park Assist Plus with remote parking capability via app for automatically driving into and out of parking spaces (the driver can control the parking procedure from outside the vehicle), Trailer Assist (assisted manoeuvring with trailer) and Night Vision (night vision assistance).
Striking design update. The new Touareg can be recognised immediately by the new front and rear design. At the front, the complete unit with radiator grille and headlights and the front apron have been given a new look. Particularly striking are the IQ.Light HD matrix headlights, which come as standard except on the basic model. With three light modules and thus three light points on each side, they create an unmistakable day and night light design. The centre horizontal strip in the radiator grille is also illuminated for the first time on the Touareg. Another unique Touareg feature is the newly designed rear, which now has a continuous horizontal LED strip for the tail light clusters and incorporates a red-illuminated Volkswagen logo for the first time (standard except for basic model).
Petrol, diesel and plug-in hybrid powertrains. The new Touareg will be launched in five powertrain versions. These all come with 3.0-litre V6 engines: one turbocharged petrol engine (250 kW/340 PS), two turbodiesel engines (170 kW/231 PS and 210 kW/286 PS) and two plug-in hybrid drives (V6 petrol engine plus electric drive motor). The plug-in hybrid drive of the Touareg eHybrid develops a system power of 280 kW (381 PS); on board the Touareg R eHybrid, the system delivers an output of 340 kW (462 PS). All engines are paired as standard with an eight-speed automatic gearbox and the 4MOTION permanent all-wheel drive system.
Basic, Elegance, R-Line and R model. In terms of equipment, the new Touareg will be launched in a basic version with the current front design (from €69,200) and in the two exclusive lines Elegance (from €75,070) and R-Line (from €79,660). The flagship model is positioned above these: the distinctive and sporty Touareg R eHybrid developed by Volkswagen R (from €93,870).
Basic version. The general standard equipment includes the following features (excerpt):
- Air Care Climatronic (two-zone automatic air conditioner)
- Touareg background lighting with white-illuminated trims in new design
- Digital Innovision Cockpit
- Electric luggage compartment cover
- Electrically operated tailgate
- LED tail light clusters
- LED headlights
- Multifunction camera
- Multifunction steering wheel in leather
- Discover Pro Max navigation system
- Keyless Go keyless starting system
- Heated front seats
Various assist systems are also on board as standard (excerpt):
- Rear View reversing camera
Elegance and R-Line. The following details supplement the equipment here (excerpt):
- 30-colour background lighting, colour settings possible in three zones (new: including footwell and drink holder lighting)
- Interior trims in specific design (updated)
- IQ.Light HD matrix headlights (new)
- Radiator grille in specific design (new)
- Leather seats, electrically adjustable
- IQ.Light LED tail light clusters with dynamic brake and turn signal function and illuminated Volkswagen logo (new)
- Alloy wheels in specific design (updated)
- Bumpers in specific design (new)
- Volkswagen logo projection via exterior mirror housings as surround lighting (new)
Designed by Volkswagen R. The Touareg R eHybrid is the independent flagship model in the product line with the most powerful powertrain. The latest generation continues a long tradition of Touareg R models with high-tech features and customised equipment. They have all been developed by Volkswagen R.
Touareg R eHybrid. In addition to numerous features from the Elegance and R-Line specifications, the flagship model also offers the following details (excerpt):
- Brake calipers in painted blue finish, with silver R logo (new)
- R logo projection via exterior mirror housings as surround lighting (new)
- Blue contrasting stitching in the interior
- Leather seats in Vienna design (Puglia optional)
- 20-inch Braga alloy wheels (new)
- Sill panel mouldings with illuminated R logo
- Vehicle key with leather-covered cap and R logo
- Start screen of the navigation system with R logo
- Tilting and sliding panoramic sunroof (also for Touareg eHybrid)
- Four-zone automatic air conditioner (also for Touareg eHybrid)
New colour, 22-inch wheel rims. As a paint finish ‘by Volkswagen R’, the new colour Silicon Gray Matt is available exclusively for the Touareg R eHybrid and Touareg R-Line. Lapiz Blue metallic is also a traditional R colour. The Touareg R can be optionally equipped with 22-inch alloy wheels in Estoril design. The personalisation options are extended for all Touareg versions by four new alloy wheels in 19-, 20- and 21-inch sizes as well as the new paint finish Chilli Red metallic.
- Within the system limits: the driver must always be ready to override the assist system and is not released from the responsibility of driving the vehicle with due care and attention.
- All equipment details, prices (incl. 19% VAT) and power specifications apply to the model range offered in Germany. Please contact the press spokesperson in your country for the specific equipment, prices and drive systems in your market.
- Touareg R eHybrid 4MOTION 340 kW (462 PS) - 2.4-2.1; ; 54-49 g/km;
- Touareg V6 TDI 4MOTION, 210 kW (286 PS) - Fuel consumption combined, l/100 km: 8.0; CO2 emissions combined, g/km: 209; only consumption and emission values according to WLTP and not according to NEDC are available for the vehicle. Information on consumption and CO₂ emissions, shown in ranges, depends on the selected vehicle equipment.
- Touareg eHybrid 4MOTION 280 kW (381 PS) – 2.2-2.1; 23.5-23.2; 50-48 g/km;
- This model is no longer available.