At the end of the Second World War in the summer of 1945, the victorious allied forces faced the great challenge of ensuring the nutrition of the German population in their occupation zones. In addition, housing, heating material and clothing was desperately needed. At the same time, they had to decide what to do with the remaining industrial plants. One of these factories was the Volkswagen plant in Wolfsburg.
After the liberation of the city by American troops on April 11, 1945, the plant had initially been on the decommissioning list of the allied forces. However, when the British military government entered the occupation zone in June 1945 and seized the factory, it quickly became clear what future prospects it offered. The British decided to administer the factory as a trustee and to convert it into an international automotive manufacturing location until it was returned to the Federal Republic of Germany on October 8, 1949. One of the central figures was the British Major Ivan Hirst.