- Icon – the 8th generation. The new Golf GTI is a pure, efficient, high-tech, compact sports car for the digital age
- Turbocharged petrol engine. The GTI engine generates 180 kW (245 PS). It powers the unmistakeable, original version of the compact sports car
- Quicker gear shifts. DSG with new shift-by-wire gearbox features unique characteristics in the Golf GTI
- Light output with style. LED headlights and LED tail light clusters, exterior and interior background lighting
- GTI charisma. Open front bumper with GTI wings and honeycomb grille, GTI diffuser with tailpipes on the left and right
- Motorsport features. Striking black side sills form a line with the front splitter and rear diffuser
- GTI steering wheel. New multifunction leather sports steering wheel with touch controls, perforated leather and GTI clasp in chrome/red
- GTI for a new age. Digital Cockpit and 30-colour background lighting including GTI-specific mode
- Electrified sports car. New performance plug-in hybrid combines electrical sustainability with vast, dynamic performance
- Turbocharged petrol engine with electric motor. The 180 kW (245 PS) Golf GTE has reached the performance level of the Golf GTI
- Zero local emissions. Battery with 50% more energy capacity (13 kWh) extends electrical range to around 60 kilometres
- All-electric start. The performance plug-in hybrid drive in the Golf GTE starts on electrical power alone, with zero emissions
- Predictive hybrid control. The sophisticated electronics of the GTE incorporates GPS and route data into powertrain control
- IQ.DRIVE (optional). Travel Assist provides Golf GTE drivers with active steering, accelerating and braking (up to 210 km/h)
- GTE – distinguishing features. GTE with no visible tailpipes (GTI has a tailpipe on the right and left, GTD has double tailpipe on the left)
- GTE instruments. Digital Cockpit and Infotainment system with GTE-specific efficiency and range displays
- Endurance athlete. High efficiency levels of the new GTD engine enable very long ranges
- Turbocharged diesel engine. 147 kW (200 PS) of power and 400 Nm of torque are the vital statistics of the most powerful Golf with a TDI engine
- Double SCR catalytic converter. Twin dosing significantly reduces nitrogen oxides (NOx) generated by the TDI compared with the engine in the predecessor model
- Always automatic. New Golf GTD launched onto the market with a 7-speed dual-clutch gearbox (DSG) as standard
- LED headlights as standard. GTD has option of illuminated radiator grille fin which merges into the LED headlights
- GTD insignia. Air intake grille in honeycomb design, red brake calipers, illuminated radiator grille and red pulsing start button
- GTD interior. Background lighting with 30 colours and new Digital Cockpit provide extra GTD ambience
- Digital GTD. New touch and slide surfaces, screens and shift-by-wire
A car becomes an icon when its design DNA and character remain recognisable for decades. It is also important for an icon to provide fresh ideas in order to cope with the challenges of our time. Just like the Golf GTI. For 44 years, Volkswagen has been reinventing this icon of sporty, compact cars while retaining the original concept – generation after generation. The eighth reinterpretation of the Golf GTI is now celebrating its debut. Newly designed and engineered – fully digitalised and networked. A Golf GTI that is fit for the modern era. The Golf Mk1 from 1976 has long evolved into a vehicle family. This was followed in 1982 by the first Golf GTD with a turbocharged diesel engine, and in 2014 by the first Golf GTE to feature plug-in hybrid drive. And so it stands to reason that a new Golf GTD and a new Golf GTE are celebrating their world premières alongside the new Golf GTI. Three Golf variants, three characters, three efficient and clean drive systems – but one design and specification philosophy.
GTI. The new Golf GTI is an agile, raw, efficient and high-tech compact sports car for the digital age – with 180 kW (245 PS).
GTE. With a system output of 180 kW, the new Golf GTE is just as powerful as the Golf GTI. The hybrid drive is designed for sporting performance and combines electrical sustainability and zero-emission distances of around 60 kilometres with a great dynamic performance.
GTD. The new Golf GTD is a real endurance athlete. In this variant an output of 147 kW (200 PS) has been coupled with very long fuel ranges.