The inaugural meeting will take place at the end of October in Berlin. At this meeting, the Sustainability Council will establish its own rules of procedure, determine the distribution of responsibilities within the body, and elect a chairman or chairwoman.
The members of the Group's Sustainability Council are:
- Prof. Dr. Ottmar Edenhofer – Deputy Director of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, Director of the Mercator Research Institute on Global Commons and Climate Change
- Connie Hedegaard – former EU Commissioner for Climate Action
- Prof. Dr. Gesche Joost – Professor at the University of the Arts in Berlin
- Georg Kell – Founding Director UN Global Compact
- Yves Leterme – former OECD Deputy Secretary-General and former Prime Minister of Belgium
- Prof. Dr. Gertrude Lübbe-Wolff, former Judge at the Federal Constitutional Court
- Margo T. Oge, former Director of Transportation Air Quality, US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Michael Sommer, former President of the Confederation of German Trade Unions (DGB)
- Elhadj As Sy, Secretary General of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)
Matthias Müller, CEO Volkswagen Group: "We are very pleased and grateful that we have been able to appoint these outstanding personalities to the Group's Sustainability Council. With their independent expertise and recommendations they will assist us in our efforts to promote the sustainable development of the Group. This will make a valuable contribution towards our success in enhancing our social responsibility and intensify the dialogue with key stakeholders."